Waterford Historical Society (CT)
Formerly known as the West Farms of New London, the Town of Waterford was incorporated on October 8, 1801, to become the 109th town in the State of Connecticut.
English colonists first harvested crops on Fog Plain and Mamacoke in 1645, gradually displacing the native Nehantic and Pequot tribes. The allocation of farm lots was made to individual colonists in 1651, followed by the establishment of a sawmill in Quaker Hill on Hunts Brook in 1653. Jordan was first recognized in 1663 and its schoolhouse in 1737. The area progressed and prospered as farming increased and granite was quarried and milled.
Waterford today has 23 miles of coastline and consists of 24,256 acres. (37.9 square miles)